Yesterday was the last day of the first part of Fly Garage. We have been so called flying while focusing on open idea generation. Now it is time to move into production but to end the first part we had a good old process follow up Hyper Island style run by Fia and me.
We started off by talking a bit about what we do at Hyper Island and why to give the process follow up a context.
If you haven’t seen it, take a look at the walnut movie. It’s all about learning by failing.
To put the group in the right mood we showed them the values we followed at Hyper Island, they might seem a bit too obvious and universal but it feels like it helped the group get into the mood:
1. Freedom of expression
2. You are in charge
3. Open minded
To inspire reflection we gave the group the following questions to think about:
1. What did we do as a group that was good?
2. What could we as a group have done better?
3. What did I do that was good?
4. will I do different next time?
5. What will I bring with me from here?
Next we divided the process in three parts:
1. 20 minutes to think individually
2. 20 minutes to share in small groups
3. 20 minutes to share with the whole group
We pointed out a lot of things that can be better next time Kraft run a project like this. I feel proud to have been part of this new initiative within Kraft. It was fun to get to use the methods we have learned at Hyper Island in the real world and see that it worked there to, both as process follow ups and idea generation methods.
Something we where all very impressed by was that all members of the team where able to work very good together from the start. Everyone was very open minded and showed each other a lot of respect. I think one thing that helped us work like this for this three week period was that when we started working together we didn’t know too much about each other why we saw each others as equals. We all came from different places to a whole new context which we all shared. This is something to remember while doing similar projects in the future.
Other things we did good:
– spend time together outside the office (dinners, excursions)
– have inspiring lectures
– mix of many different backgrounds in team
– lots of food and candy always available
Some things we could have done better:
– use more idea generation methods to inspire
– get more own time to think about ideas
– be more where the target group are
– do more energizers (more physical activities over all)
– do process follow ups more often
– in the first days, have a short introduction of Susan Wheelans group stages and how to be an effective group member
I have had a great time working on this project and I have made a lot of good friends! We ended the process follow up with a check out, every person check out by telling the group what they feel right now. My feelings where happy, proud, powerful, inspired and sad (will miss everyone). Thank you for three great weeks! Hope to see you all again some time and I’m looking forward to see the outcome of the project!